Thursday, November 30, 2006

2007 Gary Fisher Paragon - Single Track Review

After having a couple of weeks on the new 2007 Gary Fisher Paragon, I've been able to get myself re-trained about how to handle a bike off-road. Some of that is due to my being without a mountain bike for a season, and some of it is due to the changes in the geometry that are just required by a 29er.

I have the Prolouge and Inner Loop cleared up until you hit the deep rock creek. I was out of fuel for the trail-clearing equipment, and had some family coming into to town, so I headed out for home at that point, leaving me with a good trail to get some practice on later. The weather was -- well -- dang hot. It felt more like late-April/early-May temperatures rather than late November. But at least the poison ivy was dead and gone.




The Paragon is still a lot of fun to get on, and pretty addictive. The larger wheels are without a doubt more comfortable for me. I don't feel beat up at all after a good 90 minute workout on it. Certainly nothing like I used to feel after a ride on the Homegrown with the SX-R fork. The Paragon's Reba fork gives off a prounounced "woosh" sound on bumps, and that has taken some getting used to. The SX-R was pretty much silent in comparison. The lockout on the Reba is definitely a nice feature when I'm on the road headed home.

There's no doubt you sit higher off the ground on this bike. Way off the ground! Gary Fisher may be technically correct when he says the center of gravity relative to the center of the wheel is lower than on a 26" wheeled bike, but you're still so high off the ground on this bike that getting on and off on steep, off-camber climbs can be an adventure. This height off the ground, along with the crazy wide handlebars make for some difficult handling situations on the really tight trail we have here. Climbing, provided you stay hooked up with the ground, is improved. The front end doesn't want to lift on you, and the rear wheel stays glued to the turf better than I remembered. For a while, I was upset that my all-time favorite tire -- Panaracer Fire XC-Pro -- wasn't available for 29er bikes, but these Bontrager stock tires are doing nicely, and I don't have any plans to change them right now.

The hydraulic brakes are doing their job. The rear brake has developed a roughness to the feel, though, and I may need to get that checked out. You can feel the cuts in the rotors when you brake on the rear. The front is as smooth as it can be, in comparison.

Toby's tip for turning the new Bontrager Sweep bars down was a big help. Your elbows tend to stay in more, I've noticed, compared to traditional flat bars with little sweep.



Some posts you may have read elsewhere indicate there is a problem with tire clearance on the Paragons. Let me set the record straight: there isn't a problem. There is plenty of clearance with the stop setup. If you want to run some monster 2.8" tire, then you will have a problem. A bigger potential issue is the location of the front derailleur cable. As you can see in the picture below, there isn't much clearance for the derailleur cable at all. So far there has been no problem, however.




I'm getting more and more comfortable with how to handle it with every additional ride. You can corner quicker if a) you've got the room to lean it hard and b) you've got the guts to lay it out like that. In other words, it corners like a road bike, and not like a traditional 26" mountain bike. It just sticks well in the corners.

Hairpins require a little more thought because of the longer wheelbase. It took a few hours of riding to get comfortable with riding into those corners with the front wheel initially way outside, and planning where the rear wheel is going to go. It's second nature now, though, and not a problem at all.

The added comfort of the bike is enough for me to give it a high recommendation. I'm not beat up at the end of the ride like I used to be. I'd like to get in some 4-hour rides over Christmas break on it. And like you read before, the Bontrager saddle that comes stock is super comfortable. Don't replace it without at least trying it out for a couple of rides.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Any more pressure on your hands? Of did the shift fix that? So, are you in favor of the new sweep bars?

Toby Porter said...

Do you think the big sweep bar quickens the handling of the bike? I too am interested in trying them.

ExtrmTao said...

Good writeup.

Clint said...

Toby's tip for how to deal with those bars did help with the pressure on the palms. I'm not having any pressure points now.

I can't tell that the handling changes at all with the sweep, except that your elbows are positioned closer to your body as a result of the twist in your wrist, compared to traditional bars.

It's good that your elbows are in, 'cause they are super-wide! If your elbows were out any further, you wouldn't be able to get through the trees.