Thursday, November 30, 2006

Back in the saddle...I think...

Alright, I've been warned by the cycling gods that I am only to dedicate any real effort to cycling and cycling only. As some of you are aware, I severely paid the price of my MVP performance at my school's Student vs. Faculty flag football championship of the world. I tore my prufundis tendon in my left ring finger and had to undergo surgery last Tuesday, the Tuesday before Thanksgiving(Darn young kids!). Let's just say that it was a very bleak Thanksgiving because of the pain that I was in and I also had to deal with wearing a hard cast that kept my wrist in a very weird position. I went to have the cast taken off; after a couple of fainting spells(yes, cycling has really turned me into a tough man!) I got to take a look at the stitches....not pretty. The finger is not too tender anymore, but I have lost a good bit of flexibility which I will work on in therapy. I had to spend a great deal, at least to me, off the bike...bummer! However, I'm back! I think. I tried out the trainer and everything felt fine. It looks like I will be able to begin riding again on the road bike only. It looks as though I may be off the mtn bike for some time, at least until mid Jan. As far as the road bike is concerned, I can pull the brake levers fine, shift gears fine, and ride on the hoods or drops if need be. I went out on the road yesterday and it felt very good to be back. So, all my training will be on the road bike this December. I know a lot of you guys are into mtn bike mode right now...but if you get the urge to do some slow-med pace road rides, let me know...just don't tell my doctor;) (Brian-don't you dare tell your brother!)

I'll be on the road bike on Saturday. Give me a call or shoot me a note if you want to hook up!

I'd love to ride up to ride with Clint at Lynch's Woods...but that ain't going to happen :(

3 comments:

Toby Porter said...

That's great news to hear you are back up & getting out. With this weather lately road riding is not that bad.

Clint said...

Yeah -- it's slamming rain slideways here as a I write this, and the woods may be too wet anyway (if this keeps up) for me. If that's the case, then I'm definitely up for a road ride.

Jamie said...

Let me know if we can get together. I may elect to take advantage of a "parent's morning out" that our church is having. That will give us time to do a little shopping. If that happens, then I'll be riding later in the day.